"Take me home" pretty much sums up Craig's mood for the day. They had him up and out of bed several times, which is extremely painful. In spite of it, he has been cooperative. If the pain is really bad he'll moan, but that's the extent of his complaint. The girl down the hall who had the same surgery was outright screaming last night. We finally got him to eat some food. I think the IV and catheter are coming out today.
To get him out of bed he has to be rolled into a brace. They call it a turtle shell because that's what it looks like. Unfortunately, the back is too short and doesn't cover the top of the incision. Twice I have been helping to lift him and stuck my hand right on his incision. They are making a new back for him that will protect him from his mother and other things.
Ellen has been hugely helpful. She has spent the night at the hospital the past two nights so I can get some sleep. I head to the Ronald McDonald House, just down the hall, and sleep for four hours while she takes care of Craig in the room. Then we switch. The bed in the RMDH is a Sleep Number bed and it is heavenly. The daybed in the patient room isn't too bad either, but there are lots of interruptions in there so it isn't easy to sleep. Having Ellen split the night with me has made all the difference in my ability to deal with everything and having my mom take care of Kelly has removed the guilt of maternal neglect.
Craig had a pretty tortured night last night. The pain was almost unbearable. Fortunately they are sympathetic to that and give him double Vicodin, which allowed him to sleep. Hopefully we've hit the top of the mountain. They say the pain usually hits at its worst on the second or third day.
I hope this is coherent. I really have no idea if it is or not!
No comments:
Post a Comment