Kelly spent the week at Choralfest, choir camp for the Fort Wayne Children's Choir. Friday night they gave a concert. Choir concerts are like drinking poison for Craig, but he knew in advance he was expected to go and went willingly, much to our surprise. He was in an unbelievably good mood. Perhaps it was finally being brace-free or maybe it was the girl he was texting through the entire concert. Most likely it was the constant stream of slightly-too-loud peanut gallery comments, like yelling "Mazel tov" after the Yiddish song. I could not silence him, but at least he was happy. The funniest thing he said was at the beginning when the mayor of Fort Wayne, Tom Henry, was introduced. Craig looked puzzled and said, "I thought the mayor was that graham cracker guy." The previous mayor's name is Graham Richard. I rolled with laughter and explained that he had retired. Craig defended himself. "Oh, well he is a white guy." Half way through the concert he leaned over and said, "I need to blow some methane." We were in an outdoor theater so I said, "Not yet, wait for the applause." He chuckled over that. I never noticed anything, but when I told everyone about it on the trip home Ellen said, "Ugh, that's what that smell was!"
Craig has started a hat collection. I found him a really great fedora at American Eagle and Meg came up with not only a propeller beanie, but also a fez. All three fit his head and his personality perfectly. My mom is searching the antique stores for an authentic top hat and Meg is hoping to come up with a Beefeater hat when she goes to London in December.
Saturday I braved shoe shopping with Craig and Kelly. Unfortunately for K, she is now a 10 1/2, which does not exist. We tried on several pairs of shoes before finding an 11 that wasn't too big. She wanted to get Pumas for gym, but they were $70 and she'll outgrow them in three months so we settled for something less expensive. Craig found his shoes rather quickly. He was looking for something more casual than church shoes and dressier than gym shoes. He picked out a pair of black loafers and didn't realize until he got home that he should have gotten brown shoes to wear with jeans. No matter, he changed his pants instead and headed out the door for a dance. He also picked up a pair of Chuck Taylor's. He was supposed to get a pair of gym shoes, but told me that since all he can do in gym is walk, these will suffice. If the teacher won't let him wear them then he'll wear his old shoes for gym and wear the CT's for school.
Today is Kelly's birthday. My baby is 11! In nine more days my oldest baby will be 22!
No comments:
Post a Comment