So we woke up Sunday morning to our fridge making a strange buzzing noise every couple of minutes. There wasn't time to do a whole lot besides check the usual culprit--our ice maker sometimes gets constipated. It wasn't that so we went about our Sunday morning business. As we were backing out of the driveway, Tom, who can't help thinking like an engineer all the time, said, "I hope it doesn't start a fire." With that we left for church.
When we got home the house was still standing and the fridge was still buzzing, but everyone was hungry so we grabbed something to eat and forgot about it. After a couple of hours the noise was really starting to bug me. Tom said he'd look at it when he got home from work the next day, then left to go home teaching. On an hunch I opened the freezer and discovered frost on some of the containers. Not a good sign. Then I picked up the ice cream, which felt sloshy. I loaded the stuff most likely to defrost into a box and hauled it to the freezer downstairs. Then I got out the manual. The only thing I really could do was vacuum the coils. I did the front easily enough, but needed a hex wrench to unscrew that back panel and peek back there. As soon as I got the back panel off, the delicious hum of a properly functioning fridge started. I could also easily see the problem. The exhaust grill and fan were caked in dust and gunk. Being married to an engineer I knew better than to stick my hand into a plugged in appliance so I left the grill loose so it could ventilate and let the fridge run for a couple of hours to get the temperature back down. Then I unplugged it and went to work. It took awhile to get all the debris out, but when i was finished and had put it all back together it worked great. Tom was, I think, rather impressed when he got home. Or maybe he was just relieved that he wouldn't have to deal with it the next day. Kelly thought it was cool that I saved a couple of hundred dollars worth of food. The freezer manual said something about vacuuming the coils every three months. I think we do it about every three years, but we will probably change that in the future.
No comments:
Post a Comment