Just before the last Harry Potter movie came out Abby decided to reread Book 7 to refresh her memory of the events. After finishing Book 7 she decided to read Book 6 and has been going backwards through the series ever since. Wednesday she was reading Book 3 and randomly said, "Cool, sir!" Without thinking I told her the person who said that line, who he said it to and what the scenario was. I got the spell wrong, but that didn't matter; Abby pronounced me a Harry Potter nerd in short order. She seemed to forget that coming home from the movie last week she said, " J K Rowling is really a brilliant writer. In the sixth book when they are in the Room of Hidden Things, a five-legged skeleton is mentioned. It seems really random, but if you've read Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them it's mentioned in there." Then Ellen shouted out, "That's a Quintaped!" Ellen then proceeded to tell us, to our general amazement, their habits, eating preferences, where they live and all about this NON-EXISTENT BEING! Who are the nerds . . . the people who remember an unimportant skeleton and all about their habits or the person who remembers a funny scene from one of the books? The funny thing is when Kelly got home from mutual Wednesday night I asked her who says "Cool, sir!" in Book 3 and she got it. Tonight I asked Craig and he knew it too. Neither of them knew what the five-legged skeleton mentioned in Book 6 was. I rest my case.
Craig's latest question--"Would I be allowed to wear a t-shirt to school that has a picture of a native American Indian and says, 'I have reservations'?" I wish you could hear him ask these questions. He is usually laughing so hard inside that he can hardly spit out the words. Instead he chose a t-shirt that has a picture of a guy hanging by the legs from a tree. There are several pinatas on the ground below, one of them blindfolded and holding a stick. Candy is falling out of him. He also chose one that says, "Free Tibet . . . with the purchase of a Tibet of equal or greater value. The second shirt is his reward for suffering through a blood draw when I promised him that he could make the choice himself. I didn't think his doctor would press the issue, but he did. He has to get a diabetes screen every year and he was furious with me for "lying" to him. In the midst of his white-knuckle-blood-draw experience Abby remembered what he'd said in the car on the way to the doctor. "I'd donate blood just to get the t-shirt if they didn't do the finger prick first." She reminded him of that and in an effort to clear my name I shouted, "I'll buy you a stupid t-shirt if that's what it takes to get you to do this." Coming out of the lab we ran into his doctor and the nurse. I guess they were coming to check on him. Dr. Gomez commented that he'd survived and I said, "I have to buy him a t-shirt." The doctor was impressed with his negotiation skills. I'm stuck buying him a shirt now after every diabetes screen, at least until he turns 18. Then the choice truly is his.
Where do you find these t-shirts?
ReplyDelete