Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Death and Taxes Update

I just finished filling out Abby's 2010 Utah tax return.  If she has to pay $77 to Indiana for money she didn't make there, I'm going to get the $17 withheld by Utah that they don't want, to offset that.  Because it's past due and she isn't here to sign the return they may say, "Go to he. . . "  Oh wait, it's Utah.  What they might say is "For late!"  Then I'll pull the sad missionary mom thing and maybe they'll pay up without harassing me.

Utah's return is much easier to fill out, although instead of sending in the W-2, they have you fill out this stupid form with some of the W-2 information.  Can anyone say, "Data entry error likely?"  Fortunately they don't charge a penalty if you don't owe.  Indiana does.  Okay, time to say something positive about Indiana and taxes.  A few years ago the governor pushed through legislation that capped property taxes at 1% of asssessed value.  This saves us about $1700 a year.  There, I did it.

No comments:

Post a Comment