Yes, it is August 14 and yes, yesterday was the first day of school for Craig and Kelly. Crazy, I know. The one good thing about it is they finish on May 25.
Craig seemed fine about going off to high school. Kelly's nerves kicked in Wednesday night and were in full fight by Thursday morning. She had a headache and was completely unresponsive when I tried to talk to her. Her bus comes at 6:35 even though school doesn't start until 7:50 so I am driving her this year. When I said it was time to go, she stood up and barfed. Maybe she felt better after that because she willingly walked to the car and she willingly got out at the school. I felt kind of bad that I hadn't thought to pick up one of her friends so she wouldn't have to walk into the school all by herself. I half expected a call from the nurse sometime during the day, but it never came. She shrugged her shoulders in answer to all my questions at the end of the day, but didn't have any problem with going this morning. I am now picking her up at the end of the day since I have to get Craig anyway and Kelly "does not want to learn any more swear words I don't know" on the bus.
Craig seemed to enjoy his first day. He says he didn't have any trouble with fatigue. His science teacher keeps a super soaker for those who drift off in class and Craig is really hoping someone falls asleep in class so he can watch the show. He said he thinks math class will be fun this year, which has me feeling quite hopeful. Our only battle this morning was over the binders he was carrying to school. He is not supposed to carry anything and is not allowed to wear a backpack. He has a set of textbooks in his classes and a set at home so he doesn't have to take them back and forth. Unfortunately, nearly all of his classes require a notebook so he has all these binders that he wants to carry around and he wants something to put them in to make it easier. He did not like my suggestions of ways to avoid carrying all this stuff. He's a bit stubborn at times. I don't know what we are going to do about this.
Abby comes home Saturday for two weeks. She hasn't been home for nearly 8 months. She has to move out of her current apartment to an apartment directly above her before she leaves, but otherwise is free to enjoy today. She finished her finals Wednesday night.
Ellen and I endured a second day of mission shopping yesterday. It is not easy to find modest, conservative clothing for a 6-foot-tall girl and the MTC is pickier on what the missionaries wear so it's been interesting. Our home-teacher's father is a counselor in the MTC mission presidency (President Clegg, Katie) so I have his mother's email (she gives the lecture on dress and grooming to the sisters) so we can get some questions answered, which will be helpful. My sister-in-law is in Utah now and called from the Missionary Mall. She found some skirts for Ellen and is sending one home with Abby so we can check it out, which is a big help. We should have planned a shopping trip to Utah this summer, but we thought Ellen would be working. Oh well.
Can I give you some advice?? You know those pictures they send of sister missionaries in the mission call packet? Well--no sisters look like that! NASTY SICK! PLEASE get Ellen bright, beautiful colors like hot pink, blue, yellow, green, etc. No nasty brown, gray, and black. yuck!
ReplyDeletep.s. I shopped at places like Forever 21! you'll find lots of BRIGHT AND FUN skirts that will be mid-calf! good luck! truth be told--by the time I got into the field I had already given away most of my dresses and skirts and just had them made for me down there for like $8/skirt! I bet Ellen can find the same treatment!
ReplyDelete