Wednesday, August 12, 2009

I'm pretty sure I'll never make my son do that again.

So, we braved the IVP this morning. The actual test was no big deal, but it involves a prep similar to a colonoscopy. Craig was on clear liquids for the entire day before the test. From noon to midnight he had to drink one glass of water an hour. At 5:30 he had to drink 10 oz of magnesium citrate, which is, in Craig's famous words, an artificial accelerant. Then at 8 he had to take 3 Duculax tablets. Half an hour later he told me he did not like what those pills do to you. Everything was fine when he went to bed, except he was starving. Things went down hill fast when he got up. He was dizzy after he got out of the shower and couldn't make it back to his bed before needing to lie down. He was weak and stumbling like a drunk and he felt lousy. We got into the room where he had to change his pants before he finally got sick. I grabbed the trash can, which was the only thing close at hand besides my purse and you better believe I was going to sacrifice the carpet rather than my Coach bag. The radiology tech came in about that time and asked if he still wanted to do the test. I told her flat out that we were not going through the prep again and Craig insisted on going through with the test. Once they got the IV in things improved, but it took two tries to insert it due to dehydration. I don't know how much weight he lost from this event, but I did get a milk shake in him on the way home and some chicken tenders and fries around 10:30. We went jean shopping at his request, but he was glad to get back in the car and sit down. On the bright side, we don't have official results yet, but looking at the x-rays it appears that he has one of the two no-big-deal configurations. Yeah!

Kelly popped back from her tooth extractions yesterday once all the numbness went away. She doesn't like the feeling of food caught in the caverns, but the waterpik does a pretty good job taking care of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment