Well, not quite Ironman, but it seems like it to me. Last Saturday, September 26, Tom and his brother, Bryon, ran a 1/2 marathon in Fort Wayne...and lived to tell about it. Actually he survived it quite well. Tom has been training for this all summer and was glad when the day finally arrived to run the race. The training runs take a long time and he was ready to have his Saturdays back. Tom came home from the Friday night registration with a packet of stuff, including a list of race etiquette. He was told to step to the side of the road if he needed to spit or vomit and if nature called to attempt to get to the next available port-a-potty, find a compassionate homeowner or step discreetly into the bushes. The race ended in the minor-league baseball stadium downtown. They had a camera trained on the runners as they entered the stadium so they showed up on the Jumbo-tron. Someone also announced their name as they entered. All along the race people would cheer them on by name as they went by, "Come on, Tom. Keep going, Bryon." They couldn't figure out how people knew who they were until they remembered their race tags had their name on it. Anyway, it's done. I asked him if he would do it again and he said, "If I could just run the race, yes. But I don't want to do the training again. It takes too much time. Monday evening he was feeling a bit sluggish so jokingly, because I exercised Monday for the first time in several months and Tom skipped his workout, I said, "Well, if you'd worked out this morning like I did you'd feel more energetic." It is to his credit that he didn't hit me.
So that's who I saw on TV sneaking a leak at some house along the race...haha
ReplyDeleteGood job Uncle Tom!