Saturday, March 27, 2010

The Drama Queen Makes an Appearance

Do you like the new look? Blogspot added some new features so I souped things up. I also redid Ellen's blog, though hers is a little more conservative for now, but I'll change things up every now and again just for fun.

Last Monday I picked up Kelly from school and she was full of woe. Apparently two boys at the locker next to hers were messing around and one knocked the other in to Kelly. She hit the floor and scraped her elbow on the carpet, then the kid who started the trouble lost his balance and landed on the other kid, who landed on her. The trouble starter was not a small child so she was pancaked. She went to her next class and the teacher offered her a bandaid or a trip to the nurse. Kelly chose the nurse and came home with a 2"x3" gauze pad bandage-taped to her arm just above the elbow. The tape made it hard to bend her arm and she spent the next 6 hours uttering sentences that started with, "I don't know how I'll (get through choir, eat, get my pajamas on, scratch my nose, etc.) with this bandage. Then she would randomly wince because, as she said, she would get shooting pains. Somehow she managed to survive the night despite her disability. The next morning I woke her up and sent her to the shower which started another discussion about can and can't. I told her to shower anyway and we'd change the bandage after she got out. Imagine my surprise when I pulled off the bandage (with the requisite oh's and winces) and discovered that the actual wound was slightly larger than a dime. I will say that the ooze stain on the original bandage was quite impressive, nevertheless, I offered her a bandaid and put the gauze and tape away for another day. She tried to convince me that it really hurt and I firmly stated that the size of the bandage wouldn't do a thing about the pain. She was miffed, but went out the door with a simple bandaid on it.

We were having a random family conversation the other night when Craig said something about watching poker tournaments on TV. He passed many hours in the hospital this way and became somewhat of an expert in Texas Hold 'Em. Tom commented, "How can you stand to watch poker on TV. It's so boring." Craig countered, "Not if you're on morphine."

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that girl!!!!! (this is from Aunt Meg)

    ReplyDelete