Funny things that happened along the way: Tom and Kelly spotted a camel in a paddock in Nebraska. We also drove past Wahoo, Nebraska, which must be the biggest oxymoron in the United States. We lost a hubcap somewhere in western Iowa. That actually wasn't funny. We now drive a redneck mini van. Kind of embarrassing. In Cheyenne, Wyoming, the kids were in the jacuzzi. Craig is very particular about who he hot-tubs with. When we're at the Y he'll watch the hot tub until the mix is right, then get in. When someone gets in that doesn't meet his comfort level, he gets out. So he was in the hot tub when three people walked into the pool area--a man walking with a cane, a very large woman and another man. One look and I knew, so I said to Craig, "They're coming your way." He edged toward the stairs and when they headed for the hot tub, he got out. Do I know my boy or do I know my boy?
We arrived Saturday afternoon. Craig and Tom ironed their church clothes and buzzed up to SLC for the Priesthood session of GC while Kelly and I had dinner with Abby and Mom. Sunday morning we got together with Morgan, two of his sons, Daniel and Travis, Daniel's fiancee Emily, Abby and my mom. We had brunch while watching GC then headed to SLC to watch the afternoon session in the Conference Center.
Abby worked ahead in her classes so when she wasn't in class or working she was hanging out with us. We had a blast. We had a long list of things to do while in Utah and managed to do nearly all of them. Craig wanted a Russia flag and Kelly a Japan flag so we hit the flag store. Craig was happy to also find a Soviet Russia flag and Tom found the original South Africa flag, which has since been replaced by something more politically correct. We also bought an Ecuador flag for Ellen. Craig found a great Russia hat for his collection, but it was $50 so it didn't come home with us.
We hit the Nickelcade, which is now in a new location and called Nickel City. This is the greatest arcade. You pay $2.25 to get in then all the games are 1-4 nickels. Most are two. The kids had a blast wasting time and nickels. Tom took forever to spend his, but reacquainted himself with Donkey Kong. Craig tried driving a semi in one of the arcade games and let's just say he should stick to driving our van. He was much more successful on the motorcycle.
One day we had lunch with my BYU roommate Karen and her family. I haven't seen her in 13 years so that was lots of fun for us, but not so much for the kids. However, they were smoothed over by a trip to the bookstore afterwards to buy candy.
We also went out to eat one night at Tucanos, a Brazilian restaurant where they bring the rotisserie meat to your table. Man it is good and I don't think I've ever seen Craig each so much food. He tried everything, including chicken heart. Peter, Amy, Christopher, Diane and Hillary joined us for dinner and it was great to see everyone and catch up.
The day before we left we had lunch at the MTC and got a tour. That was really cool! New missionaries were arriving while we were there. I thought they would look terrified, but they all looked quite calm and everyone looked really happy. It is one busy place though.
Thursday we left for home, taking the long way so we could visit some favorite spots in South Dakota. I got stopped for speeding somewhere in Wyoming, but the trooper was very nice and only gave me a warning. Of course I couldn't exceed the speed limit after that, at least not until after we crossed the Wyoming border.
Friday we spent a couple of hours at the Wall Drug Store in Wall, South Dakota. There are all these statues around the store that the kids love to have pictures taken with (see facebook for more pics). Then drove through the Badlands and were thoroughly rewarded. Last time we went through South Dakota I didn't see a single buffalo, but this time we took one of the side roads in the Badlands and drove smack into a group of about 8. I don't know why this was such a big deal, but it was. We also saw loads of prarie dogs and some bighorn sheep. We did some climbing, which is a bit tricky. Tom was bravest and Craig was second bravest, though I was sure he was going to slip and break his back. Fortunately Craig can be trusted to stay within his physical limits and stopped when things got too precarious. Unfortunately I never remember that until afterwards so I was a bit of a wet blanket.
Saturday we stopped at the Spam Museum in Austin, Minnesota. The whole idea is so funny to me. There were no spamples, but lots of pictures and film clips and memorabilia. The kids came homewith souveniers and we had some good laughs over the whole thing. We got home about 9:30 that night.
It was a really fun trip, but now everyone misses Abby even more!
No comments:
Post a Comment