March is the time each year that I realize there is some Hoosier in me. I love March Madness, especially if BYU or Purdue are playing or if there is a Cinderella team. I love the whole underdog thing. This year though, it is all about BYU. I had heard the talk about Jimmer Fredette about the time conference play started. I watched him play for the first time when BYU played San Diego State the first time. I was blown away. The guy was everything the national TV and radio people were saying he was. He does a bit of gymnastics while playing basketball. He shoots from everywhere on the court and makes it. He casually dribbles down the court, looks around then tosses the ball toward the basket, where it goes through without hitting the rim or moving the net. It's beautiful. Watching "The Jimmer Show" has become a family event. The best part is watching Craig's reaction when someone nails a three, although he would probably say it is watching me. Basketball has never been so much fun. And how nice that the rest of the team has stepped up. Now that Jimmer is being double-teamed in nearly every game the other players have gotten more involved, making the game more exciting. The game against Gonzaga last night was delightful to watch. Very few sports people thought BYU could win it without Brandon Davies, but BYU won by 22 points.
Who would have thought I would be blubbering about sports. From the crazy shots to the signs in the stands, it is so much fun to watch. And the cool thing is, the TV announcers are really into the BYU story. They talk about mission calls past and present, how one BYU player's dad taught the gospel to Jimmer's dad many years ago, how Jimmer's dad is LDS and Jimmer's mom is Catholic, but they let the kids choose and they all chose the LDS church. They talk about the honor code and how they admire BYU for upholding it, even if . . . It makes me smile. And guess what? I once attended church in Jimmer Fredette's ward. We were vacationing at Lake George and attended the Glens Falls Ward. Jimmer was probably sitting at the sacrament table. Yeah.
Abby's still in Galilee so we haven't heard from her since before she left. I'm sure she'll have great stories to tell. They are supposed to go rafting on the Jordan River. How cool is that? I can't keep track of who is doing what over there, but someone in Gaza (I think) is shelling Israel. I checked the Jerusalem security update page to get the scoop, but apparently they don't consider it significant. There was an update on March 2 that said something like, "Yeah, things are crazy over there, but it's not affecting Israel and isn't expected to. If the situation changes, we reserve the right to change the program and substitute other field trips." Okay, that's my translation of it, but basically what they are saying is it's no big deal. I'm sure they know better than I do and I'm very sure they have more accurate information so I'm not worried about Abby, but their casualness is a bit, I don't know . . . it makes me shake my head. But then I guess I'm the same way. When people ask me if I worry about Abby over there, even when she was in Egypt, I shrug and say, "Not really," because it's totally true. What good would worrying do anyway?
One more thing. Four weeks, two days. That's when Ellen comes home!
No comments:
Post a Comment