Wednesday, October 19, 2011

A Half Bubble off Plumb

I went to the doctor today.  My right knee has been bothering me off and on for over a year.  I didn't know how to explain the problem so I didn't go to the doctor.  I haven't hit the gym regularly for more than 4 months, but recommitted this week.  Monday I did a strength-training class and experienced some significant problems for the next two days.  Finally I was motivated to call the doc and amazingly, they got me in the next day.  After trying to explain the problem, he sent me for x-rays.  The results?  No arthritis, but my right knee cap is displaced.  Instead of being directly over the knee, it has shifted sideways by 30-40%.  I wish I had the x-ray.  It looks so funny.  The good news is strength training is the best thing for it so unless I experience serious pain or it starts locking up, I can keep doing whatever I want and I don't need surgery.  He gave me some strengthening and stretching exercises to do and offered to give me a no-housework note.  So I'm happy.  I finally saw the doctor.  Nothing is seriously wrong.  I can keep hitting the gym.  I don't like to exercise at all, but I do love how valiant I feel when I'm done so I really was hoping he wouldn't make me quit or worse, send me to physical therapy.

On another subject--Ellen had Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday off so she came home for a visit.  Really she came home to see Pete because he'd been out of town for over a week, but they spent quite a bit of time here so they were kind enough to amuse me during the day while the other kids were at school.  I'm glad she took the job in Indy instead of leaving the state.  I gave her up for 18 months and fully expected to send her out of state when she got home, but I'm glad I get to have her close by for a little while before I give her up for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment