Last night I had a lovely chat with Craig. It was time to explain to him what was going on with the SAT accommodations and that he might have to accept some of these accommodations at school to get them on the standardized tests. I never know how these conversations will go. Suggesting that he needs help or can no longer do something is dangerous, but I picked the right night for it. He was in a very good mood, anticipating going to the midnight showing of The Hunger Games with his friends. (More on that later.) He groaned when I suggested he might have to take the time accommodation on tests at school to show that it has been in place for four months. I assured him we would look at every possible way to do this without his classmates knowing, if it became necessary.
From there we talked about college--where he'd like to go and what he'd like to study. He asked about the FAFSA and I assured him there is no way he will qualify for any need-based scholarships, but I mentioned that he could qualify for other scholarships. "You mean scholarships for cripples?" he said. I thought I was in trouble, but he was stiffling a smile. The door was open so I plunged ahead. "You know, schools like a diverse population. They want students like you." "But I'm not black," he astutely observed. "No, but you have a rare disease and if you have to be stuck with it, you may as well milk it for all it's worth." His eyes were gleaming as he considered the possibilities.
Next he talked about a mission. "What if they call me to a mission where I have to ride a bike? I am pretty sure I can't do that anymore, but I can walk." So we assured him that there are ways to make sure that won't happen.
It is so rare for him to be this open and honest. We hardly ever discuss his condition directly and I never know how it will go when we do. It's been three years since his diagnosis and I guess he's getting used to the idea. I think he also is seeing some of the changes and is beginning to accept them. At first there was such a struggle. He didn't want to face reality, but time and maturity have helped. He has loads of friends, all of whom accept him as he is. That has helped his confidence. And I think he understands now that we are trying to help him as well, although when I mentioned last night that when he turns 18 the school (and everyone else) can't talk to me anymore without his permission, he pumped his fist. Yeah, well he'll miss me when he's on his own. They all have!
Oh...The Hunger Games. This is a book series that Ellen and Craig have read. The movie came out this morning at midnight. Craig and a couple of the boys from his seminary class and a lot of the kids from school planned on going to the midnight opening. We weren't too keen on it. Firstly, it's a school night. Secondly, I haven't read the books, but one of my friends who has (and loved the books but is very picky about what movies her kids see) suggested that if the books were Hollywoodized, the movie may not be appropriate for kids. Tom and I went back and forth and finally decided that we'd express our concerns and let him decide, seeing as he's nearly 18. Usually he goes along with our suggestion. I had little hope of that this time, but it all worked out, I think.
No comments:
Post a Comment